Osler archives home page

Search the archives

Browse the archives

Description of holdings

Hours and contact information

Information for archives users

Other special collections

Links to other archives

Web master

Detailed Record

Title

Royal Victoria Hospital Women’s Pavilion Collection

Royal Victoria Hospital Women’s Pavilion Collection

Physical Description

38 cm of textual records.

Dates

1844-1960

Biographical Sketch / Administrative History

The University Lying-In Hospital was opened in 1843 with the Professor of Midwifery Dr. Michael McCulloch as its Director and other members of the McGill Medical Faculty as consulting physicians. The Hospital was incorporated in 1854; in 1884 its name was changed to the University Maternity Hospital and in 1887 its name changed again to the Montreal Maternity Hospital. In 1923, a merger was arranged with the Royal Victoria Hospital, and in 1926, the Montreal Maternity Hospital moved into a new building, now the Women’s Pavillion of the R.V.H.

Scope and Content

Collection includes the Minute Books of the Committee of Management of the Hospital, 1844-1926; a letter book, 1886-1896; Annual Reports 1887-1926; Medical Board Minutes, 1905-1918; Record of Pupil Nurses from R.V.H., 1908-1923; Annual Reports of the Auxiliary Board, Women’s Pavillion, 1929-1943; Obstetrical and Gynaecological Report of the Royal Victoria Montreal Maternity Hospital, 1950-1960 and a copy of “Royal Victoria Montreal Maternity Hospital” by C.V. Barrett and J.R. Fraser, 1943.

Finding Aids

Custodial History

Gift of the Royal Victoria Hospital Women’s Pavilion, 16 November 1976. Old accession number 563.

Language

The documents are in English.

Source of Supplied Title Proper

Based on the documents in the collection.

Retrieval Number

P037

Series

Subjects

McGill University Hospitals
Montreal Maternity Hospital
Nursing - Montreal
Royal Victoria Hospital Women's Pavilion